Thursday, January 3, 2008

FABULOUS NEWS!!!

We receive a lot of Canadian television stations at my house, as we live close to Lake Ontario and transmit stations from Toronto (and since we don't have cable). One of the stations we watch frequently is TVO, which is like Canada's version of PBS (yes, I watch a lot of PBS...I have no trouble admitting that I'm a nerd :-p).

The other night, there was some commercial on TVO about Jane Austen, which said to go to this website: www.tvo.org/janeausten. I finally thought to look there this morning. My findings were bittersweet: they were airing a number of new Austen films, but in December. I missed it all.

On a whim though, I decided to check PBS out, as the films looked Masterpiece Theater-esq, when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but the greatest news of the new year thus far:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/austen/

Four new adaptations and a new series, plus they're airing all six Austen works in a row.
I hope that this news is as exciting for some of you as it is for me! :-D

Now, once the new films come out on dvd and I buy them, I will have multiple adaptations of each Austen (as I have at least one of each now):
3-Emma (I already have the one they're showing)
3-Mansfield Park
2-Northanger Abbey
3-Persuasion
3-Pride and Prejudice (they're airing the BBC one w/Colin Ferth...MY FAVORITE, which I also already own)
3-Sense and Sensibility.

Plus, a new drama based on her life! Ooh! :-p




Alright, sorry for my nerd-dom. Back to reality now. Heading to Ithaca for the day w/Tony to look for apartments for him.

4 comments:

matt & laurel said...

Yeah, that Colin Firth version is at the top of my list too ... it's either #1A or #1B on my "Movies That I Prayed Would End Soon" list.

Happy New Year - matt

bethany said...

I'm glad they're showing the Colin Firth P&P, and not the other one... ;) Even though I know you like them both!

jenneroni said...

Oh Matt, you're too funny! :-p
For one who typically has such good taste in movies (with the exception of a few), I can't believe that you wouldn't LOVE Pride & Prejudice!

Anyway, Happy New Year to you too! :-D

jenneroni said...

Bee...hehe, I do love them both, but I'm glad they're showing that one too. It's definitely my favorite.