Friday, April 11, 2008

American Idol

So I fell asleep about mid-way through the Idol Gives Back thing on Wednesday and wasn't home to see the results show last night. My mom informed me today that they sang "Shout to the Lord" as their opening number last night. I couldn't believe it and figured she'd dreamed it (as she is prone to dreaming things and then not recalling if they were real or not :-p). However, when I checked YouTube a short while ago, I did indeed find two versions of Shout to the Lord that were performed on American Idol! One is from Wednesday night and one from Thursday night.

I find a couple of things interesting about this. First of all, they edited out the word Jesus on the Wed. night one and replaced it with "shepherd". On Thursday though, they sang "Jesus." If I recall back enough, there have been contestants who have sung blatantly Christian songs on the show before, and Simon has criticizing them for singing songs they wanted to sing for themselves and trying to make a statement. Yet, they sang this one twice, and I'm sure he had to approve it. The song is obviously not a pop or rock song, and though it was "inspirational" week or whatever they called it, I found it interesting that this was the song choice. Are they trying to reel the Christians in or something? Maybe the producer is a Christian? Whatever reason, props to them! I'm sure it was awesome for those contestants who are Christian to be able to sing a song truly dedicated to the Lord. And for the others, maybe this touched them and opened some doors. Heck, this song went into millions of homes. I pray it touched a lot of people!

I think I'll go search around and see what other people think about this. Part of me thinks it's cool that they sang the song. Another part of me though just wonders why they "performed" it...if that makes sense. For whatever reason, it's great that it happened and they sounded pretty fab! Haha...reminds me of Heirborne (though we never sang that song I don't think)! :-p

I'd love to know your thoughts on this!!! Please tell me what you think.
Here are the two performances:


Wednesday's edited performance:


Thursday's "Jesus" performance:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah...I think that's weird.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I was completely shocked when they started singing that song. I wondered who's idea it was to do that. It's cool that they sang an outright Christian song. But, I do wonder why they chose that specific one. There are tons of Christian inspirational songs, why Shout to the Lord? I feel like there was definitely something behind it... You're right, Simon hasn't seemed to like it when other contestants sing Christian music, so why would they allow that one? I don't know... and why did they take Jesus out Wednesday, but not Thursday? There's definitely some reasoning behind them choosing it!!!