Monday, February 11, 2008

I love technology, but not as much as you you see...

Yes I love technology, always and forever. Always and forever.

Haha.


Anyway, I have had dear Charlie the Lappie, my beloved MacBook for a year now and I've only recently begun to discover the amazing things that I can do with him. For example, Photoshop is pretty rad, and most recently I've made friends with Garage Band.

The teacher that I'm working with right now inspired me on Friday to use Garage Band. We have been trying to get kids ready for All County, and she had me record the solo to one of the pieces for one of the students to practice with. I never took any technology courses in college. Most music students take technology in music courses where they are able to learn programs like Finale, Sibelius, Garage Band, Smart Music, and many others. I've had to learn these things on a very basic level on my own. Until Friday I'd never even touched Garage Band.

I never realized that with one simple cable, I could hook my keyboard (even my ancient 500-lb beast of a keyboard) up to my computer and record myself playing. I couldn't stop thinking about this all weekend, so yesterday afternoon my brother and I braved the bitter cold and wind to head to make the hour trek to Guitar Center. I didn't feel well, was exhausted, and had already canceled all of my commitments for that day, but I was obsessed with this idea so I went for it anyway.

I found and purchased the cable I needed once I'd finished drooling over a number of instruments and all kinds of equipment that I desperately need (or just want a lot). After a quick necessary stop at Starbucks, we headed home, I cleaned my room (because you can't make music in a messy room!), unearthed my dear keyboard form the depths of my closet and hooked it all up.

My first recording wasn't a long one, but I recorded a 2 piano parts, me humming, and a little bit of shaker for texture sake. The recording is only about 40 seconds long, but I'm happy with the way it turned out, especially for my first time. I was actually so excited about it that I went ahead and put it on a cd already. :-p I wonder if there's a way that I could post it on here.


Anyway, that's all. :-p Now maybe I'll go play some more and make another "song." :-p




I should probably thank you all for reading. This was a long and not very exciting post. Sorry! :-p

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

now all you need is "two turntables and a microphone"

Anonymous said...

you should have just asked Justin about it all-When Jerod was up, he made songs all day....

bethany said...

I seem to remember Tom saying, "You're going to love GarageBand!" when you first got Charlie. You probably don't remember, but I'm glad you're playing with it. Hehe. ;) I love you!