Sunday, July 27, 2008

P&P love

I have posted before about all of the wonderful things I get to do at work: read, scrapbook, watch moveis, etc. :-p Don't get me wrong, these days are long, and it gets very boring and tiring at times. However, I mostly don't mind being here (yes, I'm at work right now :-p).

One of the nice things about working long hours here is having the opportunity to watch long movies. As I'm sure everyone is aware, I'm quite enamored with all things Jane Austen, and have multiple film adaptations of every one of her novels. Each novel has at least one adaptation that's been shortened to under two hours, and then at least one that is four-plus hours. I used to watch these movies every night before I went to bed, a half-hour at a time which took at least a week or so to get through one movie. When I'm at work, I can watch an entire movie in one shift, which is very nice indeed.

So, yesterday I watched my favorite Pride & Prejudice, the A&E/BBC adaptation w/Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle.



Most people I know prefer this version to any other, myself included. However, I do also love the newer version that came out in 2005 with Kiera Knightly and Matthew MacFadyen...a lot!



I don't mind that they've shortened the story a great deal or changed parts of it around. And, though I don't like her as much as Jennifer Ehle, I don't mind Kiera Knightly as Elizabeth Bennett. I do LOVE the Jane in this film, as well as the cinematography, setting, and sound track (which is to-die-for!).
I am watching this version of P&P this afternoon. :-D

When I am finished with this one, I will watch the 1980 BBC version.



This version is older, the camera work is not nearly as nice, the actors not as pretty, and the music not as good as the first two adaptations I wrote about. What I like about this version though (and all of the other BBC Jane Austen's I have) is that they stick extremely close to the novel.
I will begin watching that version either later this afternoon, or tomorrow morning I'm sure.


Once I finish with the 3 Pride & Prejudices I have (there are others as well, but I don't currently own them), I will probably go back and watch my other Jane movies. I like to watch them in alphabetical order (even though P&P comes after four of them :-p), so when I'm done w/P&P, I'll move on to my 3 Emma adaptations (and possibly Clueless, because that is a modern-day Emma and I love it!), then 3 Mansfield Parks, 2 Northanger Abby's (though I may skip these, as I really don't like them :o)), 3 Persuasions (my favorite!!!), and finally 3 Sense & Sensabilities! If that doesn't take me through the end of the summer, I'll throw in some Jane Eyre's and possible Anne of Green Gables. I love that I can watch these movies from beginning to end in a day!



Alright, I must get back to my P&P viewing. Everyone reading this probably now thinks that I am lazy and is shocked that one person could watch this much television! Trust me though, if you worked here, you'd do the same (though probably with other movies. ;o)).

1 comment:

vivian said...

Glad to hear your working hard Jen!♥